• Announcements

• Monstarules

Interstellar Registration is Open   08/10/2017

You've read it right! The SW Interstellar Campaign registration is now open! Check the Interstellar forum under The Sprite Wars.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanAlmighty

Dan's Game Picto-walkthroughs!

Oh why the hell not. Might take walkthrough requests on RA2/YR campaigns.

Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge - 5: Operation Escape Velocity

Screenshot walkthrough by AzRaeze/Dan.

Hard mode, v1.001, time: 55:01 (Par time is 1:00:00 on Hard Difficulty)

Well, I got bored and decided to do a walkthrough on one of Yuri's Revenge's most... annoying missions- Escape Velocity. You take your small forces, land, build a base, and take out Yuri's island base.

Simple enough? Yeah, it's quite simple as long as you choose your landing zones (Might encounter a bit of Boomers) right and keep a steady flow of income, which will be difficult as ores tend to run out fast before you build up your forces. Fortunately, there are Oil Derricks scattered all across the map and you'll want to find one where you can take control as much of them as possible without putting them in significant danger.

s001.jpg

This is the starting point and Zofia shows you the three possible landing zones. One to the left, one in the middle, and one at the bottom. Now let me tell you something:

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT land on the middle area unless you really know what you're doing (You better not). That area puts you right next door to Yuri's major base (Just one cliff up- so close that you can attack base-to-base with V3s) and you'll have a very hard time defending that place. Additionally, there are two Oil Derricks that are quite vulnerable to Yuri's own base-to-base attack (By Initiates or Gatling Tanks).

I prefer the one at the bottom for various reasons- first, there are three Oil Derricks you can capture (And keep them safe). Secondly, Yuri's forces will have a hard time squeezing in through the only entry point.

I haven't tried the left landing zone yet, though it does show a nice patch of gems but there are 7 Boomers along the way. Kind of risky for me.

s002.jpg

How do we get there? Simple. Hug the edge of the map to avoid the Boomers- I'd like to stay out of trouble for now. You can take them down (There's only 4 along the way) if you want to.

s003.jpg

Sad how we start with only two tanks- infantry is quite useless other than stuffing them in Battle Bunkers as the island is swarming with Viruses. When convenient, set up Battle Bunkers at the shorelines (Yuri's forces mostly hug the shorelines as they attack. We'll capture the Oil Derricks later.

s004.jpg

Please do not place Battle Bunkers at where I did. Bad idea as Yuri completely avoids them.

s005.jpg

Use the attack dog to scout the upper side of the cliff to get a better view of Yuri's forces- and get more comfortable.

s006.jpg

Terror drones are your saving grace- unlike the Attack Dogs the Terror Drones can not only go fast and tear up infantry, but also tear up Brutes and Yuri Clones with ease.

s007.jpg

This is the place where you'd want to set up your defenses on. This is the only enterance to the base and makes a perfect bottleneck defense- as long as the Oil Derrick doesn't blow up (Then you're in a bit of trouble).

s008.jpg

Don't worry too much about Anti-air defenses for now. Boomers aren't particularily interested on cruise missile attacks anyways.

s009.jpg

Now you see what I mean? No worries about war on two-fronts. Hooray!

s010.jpg

While you build up your submarine fleet, crank up some Siege Choppers and start killing the units alongside the cliff (Yuri Clone makes best level-up target). There's very little danger of Anti-Air around- and if you do see Gatling Tanks, you can easily outrun them as long as you spot them early.

s012.jpg

Force of will vs the force of lead. Make your bet.

s013.jpg

Ah, now my submarine fleet is complete. I'd like to keep the choppers around for additional firepower on surfaced Boomers. You shouldn't need additional Dreadnaughts so don't waste your money on those.

s014.jpg

Make sure to take out the Yuri statues. Capturing them sounds tempting but they're of little use- besides, most of them are in very hard-to-reach places anyways.

Also, you'll encounter a lot of Boomers at the entry point. A lot of Typhoons could handle them but if convenient, have Dreadnaughts force-fire on anywhere next to Boomers that happen to cluster together (You cannot force fire on Boomers directly if sighted, but submerged).

s015.jpg

Spy Planes are useless. Sacrifice one of the Siege Choppers to reveal the shrouds ahead so Dreadnaughts can target them.

s016.jpg

Now, before we destroy the Submarine Pen, spend some money stiffening up your defenses (Your 3 Oil Derricks should give you steady income even with the Ores depleted). When the Submarine Pen gets destroyed, Yuri will sell EVERY BUILDING and throw EVERYTHING at your base (By everything, I mean Boomers, Slave Miners, all non-military units as well).

Just in case, set up a second line of defense in case Yuri manages to break through the first one. Also, keep an eye on the Oil Derrick. If that thing blows up- it'll take out the line of defense along with it.

s017.jpg

Here they come!

s018.jpg

Holy shit.

s019.jpg

By now you should have plenty of money to set up several sentry guns on the red circle designated in the screenshot. This should keep anyone smart enough to attack the Oil Derrick from the upside. Don't worry about vehicles as they'll simply pass by.

s020.jpg

They'll be throwing a lot of Slave Miners. They're not much of a threat but they do distract the defenses.

s021.jpg

CANNON FODDING TIME

Also, freed Slave Miners have one hell of attack power. They even managed to take down a Lasher tank- though it was already damaged.

s022.jpg

"Damn it, we could've at least set up some secret tunnels then we wouldn't be in this traffic jam!"

"Oh why didn't we just rush them right off the bat? This would've been so much simpler but noooooo~!"

s023.jpg

"People, people! Move in a straight line please!"

s024.jpg

Yuri's cannon fodders are finally thinning out. Seriously, this game really needs to be able to attack without clicking on what to attack. Well, mission completed nontheless.

very good walk through Dan!

You should make one for the mission in RA2 where you have to attack the Kremlin and get Yuri.

I just can't beat that one =P

You should make one for the mission in RA2 where you have to attack the Kremlin and get Yuri.

I just can't beat that one =P

Oh I hated that mission. Barely made it when all I had was a Nuke silo radar, and a nuclear reactor.

Red Alert 2 - 9: Red Revolution

Screenshot walkthrough by AzRaeze/Dan.

Hard mode, v1.001, time: 30:28 (Par time is 50:00 on Hard Difficulty)

About damn time I did this one. This is possibly one of the most annoying missions you'll ever face if you don't play your cards right. The first time I went through this in hard mode I beat it with just Nuke Silo, Nuke reactor, Soviet Battle Lab, and a couple of power plants remaining (My base was being decimated by mind-controlled tank force).

So Yuri was the one behind all these... scheming behind the Soviets, trying to rise to power, eh? Poor Romanov- if he could only drop a few pounds before dying...

Oh well. Time to nuke his ass. Let's do it!

s001.jpg

This is the starting force (MCV auto-deploys so you're fighting on a forced base). This is pretty good,

considering how ungrateful the game was in previous missions.

Send two Kirovs to attack the defenses just up front (Consists of two flak cannons and a tesla coil, along with 6 conscripts). DO NOT destroy the power plants up there- we'll capture it later to expand our defenses. Finish off the conscripts with the attack dogs you start with.

s002.jpg

Train 5 engineers (3 to capture Oil Derricks and 2 to capture the power plants). Send 1 engineer, 5 conscripts, and a small tank force to the north until you see the oil derrick. Garrison the conscripts in the house next to the cliff, capture the Oil Derrick and wall off the path with... well, Walls. Build Sentry Guns, too as a start since conscripts can't fend off the early attacks.

Now you no longer have to worry about the Iron Curtain. Why? Yuri always Iron Curtains units on the north path and the Terror Drones will be blocked by walls (They don't seek the other way around, though) and you can easily wait until the Iron Curtain wears off.

But there have been cases where tanks get Iron Curtained. If so, keep the Sentry Guns repaired as they're the only distraction for them. Keep an eye out on the walls as well- rebuild them when needed (They're sellable).

s003.jpg

Now send the two Kirovs to force-attack in where the screenshot is. This is the most used path the enemy will use and will constantly fall right under it. But some DO go around the Kirovs so garrison the house below it to stop anyone smart enough to do it.

s004.jpg

Haha, the Terror Drones are stuck. Screw you~!

s005.jpg

Also, clear any woods from the back of the base to give more room for buildings. They go down with 4 hits from Rhino tank and 1 hit from Apocalypse.

s006.jpg

Send the engies to capture these two Oil Derricks as well. Don't mind about putting any defenses as the enemy will completely disregard them (Except for few Rhinos passing by- they'll just shoot on the run which is not a huge deal).

s007.jpg

Send the V3 reinforcements to force attack on the north path to twiddle down enemy forces gathering there (Any lucky hits do some help). Also, build some Flak Cannons as enemy V3s are known to shoot off their missiles, too (Which your V3s can easily destroy).

Don't forget to stiffen up defenses on chokepoints, too. It doesn't hurt to charge the Tesla Coils with Tesla troopers, too (Besides, you'd be having tons of credits by now).

s008.jpg

Nuclear Power plant is a big necessity in this mission.

s009.jpg

Another Iron Curtained Terror Drones bites the dust- or snow.

s010.jpg

Now before you start constructing Nuke Silo, make sure the walls are in good condition and several Flak Cannons are in place. While building Nuke Silo, train about 20 Flak Troopers and 12 Flak Tracks. Send 10 Flak Troopers and 6 Flak Tracks on each side. They'll be plenty enough to stop the Kirov armada (Don't send them too far north or the Tesla Coil will obliterate them).

s011.jpg

This should be where the Kirovs will be crossing...

s012.jpg

Nuke Silo in place!

s013.jpg

It doesn't help to build a Psychic Sensor to detect where the Kirovs will be going. Also, keep the Anti-Air units out at the sidelines. When a Kirov goes down, it'll hurt a lot if it crashes on your forces.

Most importantly, DO NOT let Kirovs crash into Oil Derrick-- they do severe damage and 2 is enough to kill it off. Keep it constantly repaired- use engineers if you have to!

s014.jpg

FMP! FMP! FMP!

s015.jpg

No, 6 Kirovs aren't appearing at once (And thank GOD for that). 3 Kirovs appear on 2 sides periodically.

s016.jpg

Uh-Oh, too close for comfort.

s017.jpg

After the first nuke is ready, send it to the Kremlin. It takes two nukes to take this building down- and no, it doesn't repair itself.

s018.jpg

Keep up the pressure until another Nuke is in place.

s019.jpg

Woah... a crate! I wonder what it is?

s020.jpg

If the flaks cover entire Kirov, then you're on the safe side.

s021.jpg

This is it! The moment of truth!

s022.jpg

VICTORY IS MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!!!

s023.jpg

FWOOOOOSH

s024.jpg

I HOPE THEY GOT INSURANCE!

Oh wait, this is Soviet Union- never mind.

s025.jpg

Mission accomplished.

On the funny side, that Psi-Corps Trooper blindly walks into the radiation zone and melts as the Mission Accomplished banner pops up.

Start off broke, go home rich. Hell yeah!