• Announcements

• Monstarules

Interstellar Registration is Open   08/10/2017

You've read it right! The SW Interstellar Campaign registration is now open! Check the Interstellar forum under The Sprite Wars.
Mechasonic

Rants

248 posts in this topic

So my friend invites me over for the purpose to have my computer's hardrive transfered into a PC that has more powerful hardware- after some motherboard issues we got it working.

Everything is perfect until we decide to check if the steam client- and for reasons unknown Steam decides to just go fucking retard mode and conditioned itself to believe all my purchases are null. All my games installed and now listed as Pre-load complete which according to many sources indicate that the game's files cannot be unlocked until the games release date. So fucking wonderful- none of it even fucking adds up- All we did was transfer my hardrive to a new tower- and this somehow of all things effects Steam?

Even though I have recorded game time and backups- installed files you name it. So now I have to contact steam about it, and wait god knows how fucking long to get an error that shouldn't even exist to be fixed.

Looks like the Steam greenlight stupidity is spilling over into the rest of Steam. I hope things get solved soon.

Well turns out it's a steam error entirely (big surprise) miraculously I logged out for the 50th odd time and relogged and then it decided to unfuck itself and work.

well that is a releaf I have been attempting to get a gmod mod to work but it seems to have glitched steam i watched the videos and all but nothing i guess i will just have to uninstall the game and mods again.

Thanks to my hardrive conversion my purchased products clip studio paint in particular is now requiring me to enter the validation keys, don't have the documentation for it for some fucking reason, have to contact the website- I get some dickwad who can't read the request who in turn directs me to some fucking stupid EU german money website thing I've never heard of before or even signed up for that suddenly is now responsible for purchases made.

Eventually I manage to log in with my purchase order ( from a adobe acrobat receipt ) and a password I had to reset? I get in and there's no history of my purchases. Now I'm fucking pissed. I'm not letting some fucking wierd arse japanese company that lets germans or whatever handle the purchase history walk away with my fucking money.

I want to bring up a topic relating to the discord and don't worry I won't mention any context or touch on heavy topics but rather the princple of the matter. I'm not a staff member but I really wanted to give my own thoughts on this and why it bugged me personally.

Basically why I'd rather not have a serious general, extended discussion or politics room in the chat or forums.

First part is it's extremely divisive considering these are not normal times we're living in not to mention extremist views are becoming more normalized on the internet and I don't think our community should open the door to any of that as it could introduce a seriously toxic element.

Second is we've survived years just fine without the community being allowed a political platform. Don't ask don't tell is the best way if we can't really behave ourselves when given an outlet to do so.

Third thing is NOBODY is owed a platform, free speech just means the government can't arrest you for what you say, it doesn't mean a private enterprise, community or internet forum is bound by higher powers to grant a platform for politics.

Fourth thing is it stresses the utter hell out of people to have to go into a chat to chill and find themselves debating 5-10+ people every day by themselves while getting dog piled on, then theres people gish galloping, throwing bad faith arguements around and generally having an echo chamber. Not to mention the whole thing is pretty much making some members feel ill IRL which means it is time to stop.

Finally there was a trail for a serious discussion and people abused it violating rules 1 and 3 of the community guidelines gleefully(And quite frankly there are a few of us here who don't want to see this place turn into a shitty imageboard or god forbid smegging /pol/)

Cite- http://www.spritewars.com/index.php?showtopic=3730

I just don't feel we're ready for a political platform or well behaved enough to use it with care.

First part is it's extremely divisive considering these are not normal times we're living in not to mention extremist views are becoming more normalized on the internet and I don't think our community should open the door to any of that as it could introduce a seriously toxic element.

If you're afraid of anything that can introduce a really bad thing into our community, then we should just disable the sign-up process and make forum an invite-only community. Now, that will keep the harmful elements out, but that will turn us into an elitist-looking and closed community.

Furthermore, just because things like that can go into this community freely, doesn't mean we will just be contaminated by those ideas without any reaction. Even infectious diseases will be fought away by the body's immune system, you know? How much more thinking people?

Second is we've survived years just fine without the community being allowed a political platform. Don't ask don't tell is the best way if we can't really behave ourselves when given an outlet to do so.

There's always an outlet for this: It's called a forum. If people want to speak, they will speak. And then we regulate them. But so far, the voice chat is the only place I know people will discuss those.

Third thing is NOBODY is owed a platform, free speech just means the government can't arrest you for what you say, it doesn't mean a private enterprise, community or internet forum is bound by higher powers to grant a platform for politics.

The Article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states otherwise.

Fourth thing is it stresses the utter hell out of people to have to go into a chat to chill and find themselves debating 5-10+ people every day by themselves while getting dog piled on, then theres people gish galloping, throwing bad faith arguements around and generally having an echo chamber. Not to mention the whole thing is pretty much making some members feel ill IRL which means it is time to stop.

We did stop and don't make arguments around Mike because of his ongoing ulcer. And so far, I see no dog piling, Gish galloping, Ham hightailing or any other ill-faith arguments going on. An echo chamber can't exist if people are having active discussions.

Finally there was a trail for a serious discussion and people abused it violating rules 1 and 3 of the community guidelines gleefully(And quite frankly there are a few of us here who don't want to see this place turn into a shitty imageboard or god forbid smegging /pol/)

Cite- http://www.spritewars.com/index.php?showtopic=3730

When did these violations occur in the recent history forum? Even TimberWolf, who was regarded as an explosive person in the past, is calm today.

And oh, here's a unfun fact coming from a regular visitor of 8chan: Their incantation of /pol/ is regarded as a Nazi echo chamber, and nobody takes them seriously.

I just don't feel we're ready for a political platform or well behaved enough to use it with care.

We don't have an official one right now, so there's that. But aren't we well behaved enough? Even then, nobody said a word when the #seriousdiscussion channel from Discord was removed. So, what's the problem?

If you're afraid of anything that can introduce a really bad thing into our community, then we should just disable the sign-up process and make forum an invite-only community. Now, that will keep the harmful elements out, but that will turn us into an elitist-looking and closed community.

Furthermore, just because things like that can go into this community freely, doesn't mean we will just be contaminated by those ideas without any reaction. Even infectious diseases will be fought away by the body's immune system, you know? How much more thinking people?

Political discussion was always frowned upon here and a lot of forums also disallow it because it can lead to flame wars, this is not some new concept nor does disallowing it somehow degrade the standard of themes the site is built upon. Not having to cater to one thing is no issue ether I don't go to a cooking forum and feel it's less of a place because they don't have a shoe repair section.

Also nobody is immune to ideas or being infulenced, granted reading the anarchists cookbok won't turn you into an anarchist overnight or give you an interest in bomb making within mintues but there is still such a thing as memetics.

http://on-memetics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/memetic-hazard.html

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/meme

I mean if you want to debate with people, share political topics than make a place for it but not every single site and forum on the internet owes you a political platform.

There's always an outlet for this: It's called a forum. If people want to speak, they will speak. And then we regulate them. But so far, the voice chat is the only place I know people will discuss those.

Forums still have themes, rules and interests they cater too and end of the day it's up to those in charge of the forum for what content is allowed to be posted there.

The Article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states otherwise.

It's an internet forum not a country.

We did stop and don't make arguments around Mike because of his ongoing ulcer. And so far, I see no dog piling, Gish galloping, Ham hightailing or any other ill-faith arguments going on. An echo chamber can't exist if people are having active discussions.

I saw quite a bit of it personally, can't cite logs because the room is gone.

The Gish Gallop (also known as proof by verbosity) is the fallacious debate tactic of drowning your opponent in a flood of individually-weak arguments in order to prevent rebuttal of the whole argument collection without great effort. The Gish Gallop is a belt-fed version of the on the spot fallacy, as it's unreasonable for anyone to have a well-composed answer immediately available to every argument present in the Gallop. The Gish Gallop is named after creationist Duane Gish, who often abused it.

A dog pile involves a group overwhelming a person in a debate through volume and numbers and it can be extremely stressful to cope with more so if you have to deal with it almost daily and in multiple chats, it also leads to a lot of people muting political or serious rooms because it feels like having the soul ripped out of your arse which adds to group X building an echo chamber over time because group Y and Z have dropped in numbers due to not wanting to get involved any further.

When did these violations occur in the recent history forum? Even TimberWolf, who was regarded as an explosive person in the past, is calm today.

And oh, here's a unfun fact coming from a regular visitor of 8chan: Their incantation of /pol/ is regarded as a Nazi echo chamber, and nobody takes them seriously.

Whatever happened to get the room shut isn't really for a huge public discussion more so from me nor does it concern Timberwolf.

Regardless of how some in groups view certain boards on that site it does not take away from the sheer extremism they have normalized on the modern internet or the fact it was designed orginally with good intentions to promote debate and to act as a containment board in a sense like /b/ was only for it to spill out end up running the place. Even 8chan itself was born out of the idea 4chan was too PC and tame which says a lot. Personally I don't know why you'd want to hang out on a place like that but it's not my place to question your lifestyle choices.

I'm not going to debate this further, I just wanted to vent not deal with cut and comment crap every five mintues here.

i'm gonna temporary close this topic until further notice