Sprite Wars
Glitch

Global 2 Information And Preview Thread

globallogo.png

Aside from info, this will also be a questions and suggestions thread. Got a question, lemme hear it. I'll also be offering ideas for next season that I'm not sure how to implement, and would like to hear what you think.

Let's start off with the basics of this Season:

1) Global 2 will start with a timeskip of 1 year: After the chaos of the last year, the world is, at least briefly, at peace. This gives time for factions to check their wounds, assess the damage wrought by the recent wars.

2) Map will be reset: Reestablish new boundaries. Remove old inactive factions from the map and make room for potential newcomers.

3) 2 new maps: This season, the theater will include two new planets. The colonized, partially terraformed planets of Mars and Venus. One of the ideas is that with Earth's resources are dwindling due to the intensity of the recent conflicts. Mars and Venus, who stayed neutral to Earth's "civil war," have resources that are comparatively untapped. Plus, lots of open space for Earthers to colonize and try to escape the problems of Earth.

I toyed with the idea that the resources would be actual points on the map you could occupy. Unless you say otherwise, the resource shortage and aquiring of resources will just be a general idea instead of an actual objective to accomplish by taking points.

Here's a preview of the Mars map. It's kinda barebones and is still being worked on. Landmass, lakes, and such will probably moved around, or deleted entirely, in the final version we'll use as a territory map. I will also go into detail about the specific regions and their landmarks later on, once the terrain versions are complete.

mars_blank_preview_v1.png

Tharsis Heights: Home to 4 mountains, including the Olympus Mons, a mountain taller than Mount Everest. Occasionally called the "Head of Mars," Tharsis Heights is the center of economy and government in the capital city of Xanthe, once the center of ancient Martian civilization located in the "nostril" of Mars. Heavily terraformed, Tharsis Heights will be a key target for the would be conqueror of Mars.

Amazonia: Surrounded by huge terraformed forests, Amazonia is the top producer of terraforming biotech on Mars. Its large forests are also prime for guerilla warfare, making it hard to attack.

Daedalus Plains: The Plains were the testbed for Martian terraforming technology, resulting in expansive green meadows and hills. Has lots of farmland and is Mars' top food producer.

Noachis Marshlands: Amazonia's second attempt at terraforming. Forested but filled with swamps, bogs, and snow, the farther south you go, it is difficult to maneuver in here; which is why the criminals of Mars make Noachis their home, hundreds of hideouts hidden away from prying eyes and full of potential loot.

Elysium: Home to the Palamedes Spaceport. Was a military base before converted for commerical use.

Arabia: Aside from its capital, Cassini, Arabia has next to no terraforming. Has few cities, most of its population is in scattered towns.

Hellas: An oasis of fresh drinkable water (so clear you can see the bottom.) Several cities dot the coast and traveling down the canal leads out in the open water at Isidis Bay.

Argyre Lake: A vital point of travel by land. South of the Lake is frozen wasteland, so the only way straight through is to cross over the river Thalmin, also called the Tallman due to its passing resemblance to an ancient native Martian.

So, if there's "native" Martians currently on Mars, are we going to expect some red-faction style revolutionaries or just straight up faction versus faction, just in a new setting? In that same vein, is the population of Venus large enough to sustain any sort of war effort? And if so, how would they even be able to inhabit Venus? Bio domes, Xeno technology, just cause? If living on Venus would indeed be this troublesome, would any sort of ground war even occur, seeing that it would just be easier to eliminate what the inhabitants need to survive through either orbital strikes or air combat.

The other problem with venus currently is that the atmospheric pressure at the surface is 92 times greater than earth. Logically, we can therefore assume that humans probably would either not be able to inhabit venus, or, venus may have such a minuscule population it is irrevalent strategically.

Based upon the postulation that human colonization of Venus's surface is unlikely, if not impossible, we must conclude that the only way venus could be even remotely tapped is through space-borne colonies in orbit. These space borne colonies would most likely be very small, as venus would really only be suitable for robotic mining. The economics of such an operation are quite suspect, as it would require a huge investure of capital up front, with low chance of rewards due to the fact that operating and replacing the equipment alone would be expensive, not even taking into account the resources it would require to move and ship the obtained materials. As such it is likely that mining can be eliminated as a source of income, leaving venus destitute due to the fact it holds no value at all.

With venus eliminated as a source of supplies/income, we must turn our attentions elsewhere. In the solar system, there is really only two more options. The terrestrial moons of other planets and the asteroid belt. Moons may be of particular interest as some of the larger one (in exempla: Titan and Ganymede) May have at least a minor potential for colonization. This however is unlikely as it would not be cost effective to colonize one of these moons simply for resources, seeing that drones could obtain them for much cheaper. This would leave moons as an unlikely location for military conflict as they just aren't valuable enough ( with the possible exception of mars's moons as they could give an advantage in the ground war on Mars.)

With moons examined, we can now move onto the asteroid belt. This would probably be the least risky option, as their are plenty of terrestrial asteroids to go around and the rights ones can be extremely valuable. (In 1997, it was speculated that a small asteroid 1.6 kilometers in diameters was worth nearly 2 trillion USD in metal) As such, asteroid mining by automated drones could be effective.

Now that we have shown the potential profit of different parts of our solar system, we can now evaluate the highest potential areas where combat would reasonably occur.

1.Earth: even though it's pretty messed up now, it's still the birthplace of humanity.

2. Earths moon: strategically important to earth and as a mining area for helium (yes, helium is very rare and useful)

3. Mars: only planet capable of sustaining a large population. Would be fought over for territory and resources,

4 Moons (Mars and otherwise): these could be valuable strategically and help supply the army in control of them.

5. The asteroid belt: although this area is probably one of the most lucrative, it probably would not suffer to much combat as it is huge.

In summary we can conclude the following:

-venus is worthless economically and strategically

-much of many factions incomes would likely be supplied from the asteroid belt.

-remember the moons, they are important as we'll

-large scale combat would probably only occur frequently on earth and mars.

-orbital control is essential to long term power.

So, if there's "native" Martians currently on Mars, are we going to expect some red-faction style revolutionaries or just straight up faction versus faction, just in a new setting?

We do have the cities on Mars were protected by the Mars Independent Forces which is a coalition of colonists and native Martians ( Mars people) which the technology made from both were to make a force that protect mars. They will be played by the staff and myself and Glitch talked about having a system for them that will be a diplomacy/conquest system like Civilization 5. Depending on the faction they can use diplomacy to have the MIF like them and even give them forces to help them out which would be elite units to fight for the army ( think Mercenaries/hero units from games like starcraft 2) The troops are better than a standard grunt and have better weapons and equipment. However if the army conquest lands then the MIF will be pissed and have a notoriety level going up and will provide equipment to rebels against the territories and even send spec ops to cause havoc for your forces.

example 1: Axons provide supplies and protection for Arabia and installs more anti air defense systems. after a while the Axons will gain enough diplomacy points to earn drop trooper squads of MIF troops to aid him in battles.

Example 2: the Voltor wipes out a entire city block in Elysium and takes over 75% of the territory. It will make the MIF forces super pissed and will provide weapons to the rebels fighting against the occupation and even sending a special ops team to sabotage a Voltor Power facility.

the MIF is pretty much there like a city state and can help or HURT players depending on their decisions. and yes they can be fully wiped out from mars if someone desires ,but it won't be instant. it will have to be over time and they have to wipe every single piece of them off the map even the ones in areas controlled by their enemies that have strong diplomatic ties with them. and there not going to be wipe out in a day. it will be a full staff decision if a player or a alliance wants to go that route.

Venus large enough to sustain any sort of war effort? And if so, how would they even be able to inhabit Venus? Bio domes, Xeno technology, just cause? If living on Venus would indeed be this troublesome, would any sort of ground war even occur, seeing that it would just be easier to eliminate what the inhabitants need to survive through either orbital strikes or air combat.

The other problem with venus currently is that the atmospheric pressure at the surface is 92 times greater than earth. Logically, we can therefore assume that humans probably would either not be able to inhabit venus, or, venus may have such a minuscule population it is irrevalent strategically.Based upon the postulation that human colonization of Venus's surface is unlikely, if not impossible, we must conclude that the only way venus could be even remotely tapped is through space-borne colonies in orbit. These space borne colonies would most likely be very small, as venus would really only be suitable for robotic mining. The economics of such an operation are quite suspect, as it would require a huge investure of capital up front, with low chance of rewards due to the fact that operating and replacing the equipment alone would be expensive, not even taking into account the resources it would require to move and ship the obtained materials. As such it is likely that mining can be eliminated as a source of income, leaving venus destitute due to the fact it holds no value at all.

With venus eliminated as a source of supplies/income, we must turn our attentions elsewhere.

As for Venus. I did stated already that Venus was already colonize. not as big as Mars ,but has a population. Many live inside the underground cities protecting themselves from the hard environment Plus with the year venus is tapping in how the terraformign of mars worked and are implementing it on Venus. Many feld to both the two worlds since they wanted to leave the wars on Earth although venus isn't as colonize and there protection is just the city guards (which act like the police and a small military ) or corporation runned PMCs/Security Forces. I am WILLING to change if others agree with your statement millboor, but for now alot of it's terraforming will be hand waved with sci-Fi mumbo jumbo. plus glitch has some ideas ,but I'll let him explain more on Venus.( Mainly cause humans advanced alot due to the arrival of alien powers and aliens living on earth as well) Glitch told me alot of ideas and I like them so wait till he post then chime in if you like it or not and why.

In the solar system, there is really only two more options. The terrestrial moons of other planets and the asteroid belt. Moons may be of particular interest as some of the larger one (in exempla: Titan and Ganymede) May have at least a minor potential for colonization. This however is unlikely as it would not be cost effective to colonize one of these moons simply for resources, seeing that drones could obtain them for much cheaper. This would leave moons as an unlikely location for military conflict as they just aren't valuable enough ( with the possible exception of mars's moons as they could give an advantage in the ground war on Mars.)

With moons examined, we can now move onto the asteroid belt. This would probably be the least risky option, as their are plenty of terrestrial asteroids to go around and the rights ones can be extremely valuable. (In 1997, it was speculated that a small asteroid 1.6 kilometers in diameters was worth nearly 2 trillion USD in metal) As such, asteroid mining by automated drones could be effective.

Now that we have shown the potential profit of different parts of our solar system, we can now evaluate the highest potential areas where combat would reasonably occur.

We are also both working on earth's moon, deimos and phobos. We will also see about the asteroid belt as well and will allow for comments and suggestions when we post

I've presented this on Skype, but I figured this would be something nice to add, I'll make additions to it later on.

I really think we could use the boarders and circles representing smaller islands etc, help us identify more on what territories are occupied.

sprite_wars_global_season_2_map.png

I was just thinking two things:

1] The whole resource thing, could that, if done, be mainly involving areas under contestment? I mean there are a lot of areas not been taken at all yet and it does seem a little odd for their resources to of been sucked up if no one actually bothered to go there and nick 'em.

2] New planets, could they be locked at first, for like a month or two? Just so it's not Everyone-rush-to-the-new-planets-leaving-new-players-struglling-to-get-their-factions-involved.

Cool, thanks mike. After re-reading my earlier post, I feel I was coming across as a ball buster. Apologies if you felt the same, just wanted to show any potential issues along with suggestions for new locations.

I've presented this on Skype, but I figured this would be something nice to add, I'll make additions to it later on.

I really think we could use the boarders and circles representing smaller islands etc, help us identify more on what territories are occupied.

-Insert map here-

If you are going to use a map that zoomed out, you might consider doing like "Darkest Hour: A HOI game" did for their tiny provinces, but for small island chains like the ones in South America instead

dh_map_example.jpg

will, I crave out my Chunk of the Hell know as earth

season_2_map.png

Here hearing all this talk on space travel, I can't help but wonder

Since the Antarctica got there hand on space tech form the Martian war... There likely gonna have some space ships as well I think