• Announcements

• Monstarules

Interstellar Registration is Open   08/10/2017

You've read it right! The SW Interstellar Campaign registration is now open! Check the Interstellar forum under The Sprite Wars.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monstarules

Sprite Wars: Interstellar Discussion Thread

24 posts in this topic

Introduction

So as many of you know, there is going to be a Sprite Wars GC3 related side campaign, known as Interstellar. It's involving a larger scale conflict, and it is meant for armies that are really well put together and can deal with several large scale battles. Currently I am doing the map (again) of the milky way. Here is how the map looks blank, with mostly blank planets/systems and a few factions (planet names will be discussed a few paragraphs down, so will faction control).

1rFWp5q.png

Basic Details

Now this campaign is constructed for ACTIVE PEOPLE. You need to be ready to make comics or else the battles will auto resolve with victory for the attacker. There will be a time limit of 10 days (I'm open to discussion on that) to respond once an Interstellar comic is made involving other players. On your own, is a different story. This goes against the scaled down campaign that is going to be GC3. This is going to be pretty large and is focused on large scale warfare, and adds in a new aspect, diplomacy. There are 4 alignments featured here: Good, Neutral, Evil and Pirate. Good and Evil are self explanatory, and are going to be focused on doing what they do best, fucking each other up. Neutral is neutral. Piracy, however, gets explained below. Most planets are neutral unless controlled or aligned with a faction. Examples of planets that are pre-aligned with a faction would be Kait'hur, aligned with TFX, Axia, which is aligned with the Axonian Empire, or Mezvaraa (not shown, I'm letting Freak place that one), aligned with the Mazenovich Empire. You can claim certain systems to be pre aligned, but there is a limit on that (there's more on this in the planet and faction control sections). This campaign features a unique approach, with diplomacy and exploration being key factors.

The Government

The Galactic Government is a forming republic that is being formed to allow all planets in the galaxy access to diplomatic relationships with each other. It often undergoes peacekeeping missions and has some influence over factions (Extragalactic enemies, Pirates and certain factions are excluded from this, because they don't recognize or work with the government). It is still under formation, and they are not recognized by a lot of systems and planets. Especially pirates.

Basically the government is a neutral faction and votes on whether to interfere with things or not. Mostly this faction is set to be used as a response to organized piracy. It is often going to undergo attacks from pirates as well. This is set to be a playable faction, by more than one person, and I am wondering if there are any volunteers to play it. Anyone who has a faction, good, neutral, pirate or evil, can do this.

The Piracy Alignment

The pirate is friends with money, and that is about it. They often attack almost anything and everyone. Not even the Task Force or Kragolyte Empire is safe from the pirate factions. Pirate factions are often targeted in raids that are meant to control piracy. However, due to the vastness and not always explored areas of space, these factions have hideaways in locations that are often unknown. Once discovered, however, they need to run, and fast, as the government and factions effected will race to the area in order to re-aquisition stolen goods, and to capture leaders. This often leads to battles. For a price, pirates can offer their services, but like mentioned, they work for one thing: Money. An exchange of money can turn the pirate mercs that are working with you into your enemies.

Judgemagister brought up the idea of a piracy like faction, and I like it to be honest. If you want to run a faction of pirates, then by all means, go ahead and loot. Just beware of everyone you make enemies with!

Aquisition of Territories

You are rather free to do anything you want. This is a frontier, and it is a large one. Be careful however, piss off the wrong planet, faction, species, or the government, and you can end up with insurgency, rebellion, or liberation. To align a planet, you need to appeal to them with your diplomatic skills. Once aligned, it takes a lot for a planet to become unaligned. You can occupy planets, and if you treat the people right there, you can generally, over time, get them to align with you. Invading a planet is seen as extremely unpopular, unless the planet is controlled by evil forces and pirates. More often than not, whether your forces are good or evil, you will end up with either pirates or some sort of resistance if you occupy a planet. However if the planet supports you, the chances of insurgency lower. Not being an imperialistic faction helps planets like you.

Hazards

I only named a few hazards, bigger ones mostly, but hazards include asteroid fields, black holes, gravitational disturbances, magnetic disturbances, radiological based hazards, star clusters, ion storms, nebulas and anything you can really think of in space. I want you to all explore in addition to the combat and massive battles. If you explore, you will no doubt discover hazards. Everyone in the quest to find resources suffers from some sort of issues.

Planets

Thses are only unnamed at the moment because I wanted to get a bunch of us together to decide names. Now there are a few pre-existing, which I have either named or mentioned, but I want to get us all together at one point in time to discuss names for the planets. In addition to providing a location for bases, outposts, potential incomes, and other things, resources are going to be a big thing here. Controlling resources can influence your factions performance, and allow for better diplomatic relationships. There are also POI's, or points of interest. Those include wormholes, gas sources, antimatter sources and many other things!

Exploration

Explore to find new planets, points of interest, and hazards. Explore to your hearts content, and have fun! Beware, you may run into pirates or enemy forces!

As of now, I only have a few people down. I want anyone who is interested to actively contribute to this idea. The GC2 ends in roughly 10 days from the time this topic is created, and GC3 will probably start in about a month or 2. Currenly I am looking for more participants, and planet names.

Note from RektOps: Added Mezvaraa and Maz Empire by Monsta's request.

UPDATED ON 08/10/2017

Here's what I need so far from everyone (since nobody has posted responses yet)

- Planet names/ideas. Also if there are any important planets, or planets that are part of SW history, such as Mezvaraa, that need to be placed, you should place them.

- Someone to play as the forming republic government and then some people to play news. I'd prefer multiple faction owners to at least make a news comic at least once in a while, as the news isn't specifically for one network either, it can be biased to any side of the conflict, or no side at all.

- Factions that are interested. Update and re-post the map. Also, don't go crazy claiming all the systems. You will stretch yourself thin and open yourself up to attack if you do not maintain your forces and productions of resources ;) and if it is flat out ridiculous I will claim systems for you.

Also interstellar is probably going to end up outliving GC3, just a heads up. Not saying that GC3 won't last long but this will somehow or another move on to a different season because of the large scale.

Earth and the new planet are purposely not included because of mixed ownership.

Then we need a sign or symbol that indicates that the planet in question is of disputed or contested ownership. Also, on battlefield planets.

And speaking of planets, we need not to name everything yet. There could be many unnamed, unclaimed and unexplored planets out there, you know?

I know but I do want people to name what they control

I know but I do want people to name what they control

Exactly my point. Maybe I'm saying it not too clearly, but exactly my point.

If the map's of the whole Milky Way I could throw in the Kolvartian Civil war sidestory so players could change the outcome of the war effort from within (either helping Kolvartia defeat the secessionists and prevent a coup or **** up the Kolvartian inner situation by either supporting the rebels or the eastern leader), it could also mean that Kolvartia itself could be attacked directly and force all Kolvartian troops to defend the homeland (and maybe permanently destroy the Empire itself).

However, I'd need someone to assist me in controlling the secessionists factions and maybe Eastern Kolvartia if certain things happened..

Come to think of it, it would be interesting if certain events in a faction could trigger if some requirements were met (like the faction itself losing, a planned coup gaining support of external factions...). Like in games such as HOI or Europa Universalis.

No problem with that, also, the map is now updated. Waiting for FreakOps to place Mezvaraa, and Judgemagister, you may place Kolvartia as well wherever you want, copy the blank planet marker onto the map and place it wherever, just not on top of anything else.

Additionally, Judge, place your faction icon and color as well as name under whichever category you want to.

Once I get the Kolvartian flag done I'll place the location, the reason I'm so slow working is due to the fact that I've too many ideas in my head for my own good and I have difficulties putting them on paper (and even more on spritework). Besides, Kolvartia being xenophobic and only worried about the welfare of the Empire and humanity would it be considered evil or neutral? (Eastern Kolvartia is definitely evil, but it may only exist if certain things happen.)