• Announcements

• Monstarules

Interstellar Registration is Open   08/10/2017

You've read it right! The SW Interstellar Campaign registration is now open! Check the Interstellar forum under The Sprite Wars.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Commander Evil

Look at my (huge) Election

14 posts in this topic

Hello Sprite Wars, I've returned from the void with important news.

A lot of us staff are getting pretty long in the tooth (believe it or not, SW has been around in some form or another since around '04-'05), and most of us old farts who have been around since the beginning don't really have a lot of time to keep as much of an eye on the forum as we'd prefer to. We've discussed things, and in the wake of recent events, a plan has been proposed that should make everyone happy.

We're gonna hold elections.

"But Commander," you fresh faced young warlords may ask, "Who will we be electing?"

The answer, my small and less Commander-y friends, is yourselves.

Most of us or in or nearing the end of our twenties, and most of us barely have time to make sprites, let alone administrate a forum, so the general idea is to elect some of you young'uns into our place and pass on the torch of running this joint. All of the current staff will be retired into an "Old Farts" Role that only serves as an advisory capacity for whomever the new administration will be (and one with no direct power, at that.)

I hear the question already, "Commander! How will we pick our new overlords?" The answer is quite simple.

You guys will talk about it yourselves over a week or so, and once we have a general consensus, we'll have polling week so that everyone can cast their votes.

Now to make sure that this new administration is representative of the current generation of SW members and isn't one that most certainly forces us old people back into the saddle, we're gonna have a few rules for this election, listed here:

1. You will only be eligible for election if you joined the forum on or after January 1st, 2012.

Why the specific date? Age. Most of you guys  in that bracket aren't out of highschool yet, which means you (surprisingly) have more time to take care of the place. If you joined before this date but only became active afterward, contact a current Staff Member and explain your case.

2. Current Staff Members will not be allowed to vote.

The truth of the matter is, we're all biased. We all have our own opinions on how the forum should be run. And those opinions may not line up with what you newer people want. We also want to make sure that this doesn't feel like a rigged election setting up a puppet government.

3. No voting for yourself, and vote responsibly.

You can apply for a spot on the polls, but you can't vote for yourself. Vote for someone you think is competent enough to run things, not someone you think is a cool dude who would look cooler with a crown.

4. There will be a maximum number of three selected from the election: One Administrator, and two Moderators.

SW's staff as it stands today is a bit top heavy, with a lot of staff groups and a lot of people in them. We're gonna try and use this election to trim things down. The only head honcho who will remain is Player1, our fantastic Webhost who doesn't do anything besides keep the forum from burning down. However many applicants we have.

5. What would you old farts be doing?

Not breathing down your necks, for certain. We'd be rolled back into a member group for old farts that holds no power, and only serves as a prestigious title for being an old fart. We'd be on hand to give advice, if needed, but otherwise we'd just be relaxing and making sprites and not having to worry about running the forum, just like the rest of you guys.

That's about all for the time being. I'm gonna leave this topic open for questions and open discussion. I'm thinking that on either Friday or Sunday we'll open up a nomination topic so people can start picking who they think should be up for election.

Edit: It occurs to me that some of the newer members are already staffers, and that the rules as stated exclude them from candidacy. If you feel that Freak Ops and Monsta should be granted candidacy with an exception, then it shall be done, since they're part of the membership age bracket. So feel free to discuss that in here too.

It'd feel just plain wrong to no longer have the sole remaining Founding Father in an administrative capacity, and I feel like kicking Monsta and Freak out of their positions for the sake of trying to refresh the forum is kind of a dick move. Far as I'm aware, both have done decent jobs as Watchmen, so I see no justification in removing them from their spots.

5 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

It'd feel just plain wrong to no longer have the sole remaining Founding Father in an administrative capacity, and I feel like kicking Monsta and Freak out of their positions for the sake of trying to refresh the forum is kind of a dick move. Far as I'm aware, both have done decent jobs as Watchmen, so I see no justification in removing them from their spots.

This. Mike, so far, still have a good dedication for his role, although he's now hindered by his life priorities. Also, I do second the motion on Freak Ops' and Monsta's situation.

Also, I'm going to be frank here: I think it is too damned early to do this. We haven't reached enough membership in our forum to definitively say that the forum has a new generation now, that it has changed. I feel like we still have to draw in some people in this forum. Dedicated ones. 

Guys, listen.

You're missing the point he's making. Most of the Watchmen and the remaining Founding Fathers want to step down and allow us to bring this forum back to it's great former glory. They're going to basically be in an advisory role. Some of them aren't even going to really disappear, like Storm, Mandemon and Mike, who still love to Sprite and fight in campaigns.I am okay with stepping down for this election because I have a lot of heart, and I might end up getting re-elected anyways. The same goes for Freak. He's pretty nice and would probably get re-elected too. It's only fair that an election is being run. As it seems, most people seem to have popular support for Freak and I. If you, the community, want me to remain as an admin, and Freak to remain as a moderator, it's going to happen. We're also going to need another moderator or 2 if Freak and I stay in our positions. That's where you guys step in. John is asking people to apply. The old staff are going to go into advisory mode, and new guys like us are going to take over. This place started from the bottom once, we can get back up top, and we aren't anywhere near the bottom right now.

Though we are short on numbers I do see merit in this move.

I apply as a candidate for voting for who will be moderator.

4 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Mike specifically approved this move because he's tired of having to worry about everything, and wants to step down and just keep playing the campaigns.

As for everyone else, your applications are noted.

As Monstra said, lots of us current mods are largely inactive and usually come to the scene after the fire has already burned things down. This was discussed among all administrative personnel and we all agreed to it. Monstra and Freak can run for their positions again and seeing how popular they are, probably get elected. Me, I am happy to step down.

Alright, count me as less concerned.

Am I eligible to put my name in for Watchman, or do I technically count as an old man?