Sprite Wars

The Venus Project.

Guest Remilia

Well, y'know what we need to do for this to happen?

I'll lay it out for you.

GUNDAM needs to happen.

Since about the mid '70s, humans have had the technology to establish a permanent presence away from the surface of the Earth, if they so chose. It would be a MASSIVE undertaking, but it would almost certainly be worth it.

Here are the things we could get out of building colonies at the LaGrange points.

1 - Practically unlimited living space for population overflow.

2 - A secure population center for the human species that would spare us from extinction if a major catastrophe should befall Earth.

3 - The massive resources available in outer space could help to alleviate the chronic shortages we are beginning to face here.

4 - Living in a new environment could bring about new methods of thought and action for humans and provide the catalyst for our next stage of evolution.

5 - There's a chance we could get giant robots with light-sabers and laser guns out of the deal.

Humans need to expand to stay healthy, in every sense of the word. We have done this for almost all of our existence on this planet, but recently we've stopped. And what do we have to show for it? Two world wars and countless smaller ones. If we don't go somewhere soon, we might REALLY get stir-crazy. And if we go into space? Well, not only does it give us a common goal, but it forces us to consider new ways of doing things and, crucially, working together. As a side effect, every major expansion in human history has provided us with new knowledge, perhaps this next giant leap will give us the technology and the thinking skills to build a new utopia?

Well, I'm not going to dream anymore, I'm going to make it happen. Say what you will, that's my generation's responsibility, and I'm taking it.

• Like 1

Well, y'know what we need to do for this to happen?

I'll lay it out for you.

GUNDAM needs to happen.

Since about the mid '70s, humans have had the technology to establish a permanent presence away from the surface of the Earth, if they so chose. It would be a MASSIVE undertaking, but it would almost certainly be worth it.

Here are the things we could get out of building colonies at the LaGrange points.

1 - Practically unlimited living space for population overflow.

2 - A secure population center for the human species that would spare us from extinction if a major catastrophe should befall Earth.

3 - The massive resources available in outer space could help to alleviate the chronic shortages we are beginning to face here.

4 - Living in a new environment could bring about new methods of thought and action for humans and provide the catalyst for our next stage of evolution.

5 - There's a chance we could get giant robots with light-sabers and laser guns out of the deal.

Humans need to expand to stay healthy, in every sense of the word. We have done this for almost all of our existence on this planet, but recently we've stopped. And what do we have to show for it? Two world wars and countless smaller ones. If we don't go somewhere soon, we might REALLY get stir-crazy. And if we go into space? Well, not only does it give us a common goal, but it forces us to consider new ways of doing things and, crucially, working together. As a side effect, every major expansion in human history has provided us with new knowledge, perhaps this next giant leap will give us the technology and the thinking skills to build a new utopia?

Well, I'm not going to dream anymore, I'm going to make it happen. Say what you will, that's my generation's responsibility, and I'm taking it.

I fully agree with you hehe. Through I do see the Venus project idea as a first step towards getting into space.

BUT YOU HAVE MY AXE!!

• Like 1

Going to Space? Maybe discover a new race.

But there's no Utopia it's impossible there's always people like me or other that want to destroy peace.

Why does everyone keep mudsling the word Utopia? The project even states it not a utopia of anykind.

Is The Venus Project a Utopian society?

The Venus Project is not a Utopian concept. We do not believe in the erroneous notion of a utopian society. There is no such thing. Societies are always in a state of transition. We propose an alternative direction, which addresses the causes of many of our problems. There are no final frontiers for human and technological achievement - it will always undergo change. Even if we can design a society having all of the modifications to improve the lives of people and protect the environment we will still be at the beginning of the next phase. We are always in transition and learning new things.

The survival of any social system ultimately depends upon its ability to allow for appropriate change to improve society as a whole. The patterns we choose determine whether or not there is intelligent life on earth. In closing, to achieve this new social design, it will require much voluntary, unselfish participation for its realization. The future does not depend solely on The Venus Project. We only propose a direction. Our future depends on the decisions we make today.

• Like 1

Bah, Humanity could live anywhere if they put forth the time and effort to make some place livable. But practicality is what we're looking for here, Bardock. Why would humans, who are a land-dwelling species, put forth the time, the effort, the cost, and the resources to build and underwater city, when it is MUCH safer, much more cost-effective, and much more practical to live on the land? Heck, an artificial island would be more practical than and underwater city if you want to get all high-tech.

Auto, I'm right with you may man, up until number five. Unfortunately, our fair-weather friend Practicality shows up. Giant robots wouldn't be practical. Bitching space fighters, maybe. But in space, legs and arms are just decorations, and would probably be factored out of the final design.

• Like 1