Sprite Wars

The Venus Project.

Guest Remilia

Bah, Humanity could live anywhere if they put forth the time and effort to make some place livable. But practicality is what we're looking for here, Bardock. Why would humans, who are a land-dwelling species, put forth the time, the effort, the cost, and the resources to build and underwater city, when it is MUCH safer, much more cost-effective, and much more practical to live on the land? Heck, an artificial island would be more practical than and underwater city if you want to get all high-tech.

Auto, I'm right with you may man, up until number five. Unfortunately, our fair-weather friend Practicality shows up. Giant robots wouldn't be practical. Bitching space fighters, maybe. But in space, legs and arms are just decorations, and would probably be factored out of the final design.

We as a race are growing.

Its healthy to think of different ways to live in difficult climates.

The amazing thing about humanity is that we can adapt to our surroundings and completely disregard Darwin's theory.

Who knows what happens in the future, yeah sure we are land dwellers and it seems my idea is stupid and funny but god knows whats in store for us when we eventually upgrade.

Perhaps something happens on the surface then we have to live under-water, it would be helpful if we already have preparations to do so.

Practicality can only go so far as the present.

We as a race are growing.

Its healthy to think of different ways to live in difficult climates.

The amazing thing about humanity is that we can adapt to our surroundings and completely disregard Darwin's theory.

Who knows what happens in the future, yeah sure we are land dwellers and it seems my idea is stupid and funny but god knows whats in store for us when we eventually upgrade.

Perhaps something happens on the surface then we have to live under-water, it would be helpful if we already have preparations to do so.

Practicality can only go so far as the present.

I can agree with this.

Thing with the Venus project is it adapts all these different ideas, such as artficial islands on the sea, underwater areas, space colonization and so on. I see cleaning our own planet up and making it better for ourselves is the first step towards getting some colonies up there in space.

• Like 1

we can adapt to our surroundings and completely disregard Darwin's theory.

Except for the fact that we can't. Darwin's thing of "Survival of the Fittest" states that the creature most fit for its environment is the one most likely to survive.

Note that he says fit, not strongest, not fastest, not smartest.

Should such a thing as the Venus Project go forward and succeed, it would only prove that the ones most fit are those who willingly work together to push forward. It IS survival of the fittest in action, even if it differs from the usual application.

Except for the fact that we can't. Darwin's thing of "Survival of the Fittest" states that the creature most fit for its environment is the one most likely to survive.

Adaptivity counts as being fit.

We are all over the place on this planet, we live in the snow, swamps, deserts, and small Islands.

If we are cold what do we do?

We make a fire.

Bah, Humanity could live anywhere if they put forth the time and effort to make some place livable. But practicality is what we're looking for here, Bardock. Why would humans, who are a land-dwelling species, put forth the time, the effort, the cost, and the resources to build and underwater city, when it is MUCH safer, much more cost-effective, and much more practical to live on the land? Heck, an artificial island would be more practical than and underwater city if you want to get all high-tech.

Auto, I'm right with you may man, up until number five. Unfortunately, our fair-weather friend Practicality shows up. Giant robots wouldn't be practical. Bitching space fighters, maybe. But in space, legs and arms are just decorations, and would probably be factored out of the final design.

Bah, the most impractical of things are also usually the most awesome and bad ass! Just because it outweighs the cost, doesn't mean it wouldn't be freakin awesome to do anyway!

Look at miniguns for instance; they're impractical for anything besides wasting ammunition, but damn if they aren't the most awsome excuse for wasting ammunition there is!

Ditto for the underwater cities. In fact, I actually can't think of very many reasonable uses for the artificial islands you've mentioned as a high-tech substitute either, beyond military use that is (the Navy did once have plans for a mobile offshore base that would've essentially been an artificial island).

Not that I can think of many good reasons for an underwater city...but at least that'd actually look really bitchin, no?

• Like 1

Ditto for the underwater cities. In fact, I actually can't think of very many reasonable uses for the artificial islands you've mentioned as a high-tech substitute either, beyond military use that is (the Navy did once have plans for a mobile offshore base that would've essentially been an artificial island).

Not that I can think of many good reasons for an underwater city...but at least that'd actually look really bitchin, no?

Not quite, it would give people more homes, open up more living space which helps with population issues not to mention hydro energy and untapped resources around the area.

Look at miniguns for instance; they're impractical for anything besides wasting ammunition, but damn if they aren't the most awsome excuse for wasting ammunition there is!

In a dogfight, they're pretty useful. "Moar Dakka" Actually doesn't seem as impractical a concept to me as cramming humans in a fishbowl thousands of miles below cold, wet, lonely ocean far from the reaches of important resources, much less, safety.

but meh. Advances in technology may just make such fears laughable.

In a dogfight, they're pretty useful. "Moar Dakka" Actually doesn't seem as impractical a concept to me as cramming humans in a fishbowl thousands of miles below cold, wet, lonely ocean far from the reaches of important resources, much less, safety.

but meh. Advances in technology may just make such fears laughable.

Uhm...no...miniguns aren't very useful in dogfights. As I said; they suck up a shitload of ammunition. So they're highly impractical for most combat use (the A-10 Warthog gets away with having a practical minigun only because the gun in question is the size of a friggen Volkswagon and was made to tear apart main battle tanks, even then its hardly conservative on ammunition...)

As for cramming people in a fishbowl...aquariums with shark tanks do that all the time with those underwater glass tunnels...just on a much smaller and more shallow scale...ya don't see any major incidents involving those though.

I agree that the idea is very impractical, but my point was that impracticality often makes something more awsome (hence why much of the war machines you see in anime would never be built in reality). If you want practical solutions...I'm pretty sure they've already got a very practical idea in the works; "super skyscrappers". Basically same concept as a normal skyscrapper, only if I recall, devoted not only to office space but also residential purposes, and of course, much bigger than a typical sky scrapper. Its basically a means of putting a city within a city, and I've seen plenty of designs for such things in some books I have on architecture.

So if ya want a practical solution, there ya go. As for the floating cities...I did overlook the advantages of more living space, homes, and hydro power, so my bad there. I'm actually fairly sure there's at least one non military project for an artificial island in the works too, now that I think about it. Forgot the name of said project though, but if I recall it was basically something of a cruise ship on steroids.