Sprite Wars

Global Campaign Discussion Thread

Glitch

Um just to clarify, the Touten Faction is more like a Japanese twist on the Nazi villain and I will attempt to show that the Touten party isn't some one dimensional bad guy organization just because of their Nazi ideology. IMO, a well made villain should be a well made villain regardless if he/she is a Nazi or not (and I think having 3 Nazi factions is enough).

Sorry if i dig your post but i believe it's necessary i make some clarifications

The big problem with your idea is that Imperial Japan was already a "Japanese twist on the Nazi villain" as they shared a lot of points (such as racial theories, with them being "The japanese race is superior to everything" rather than "untermenschen need to be eliminated" d going for a lot of similar national policies. Japanese society as a whole can still be quite recepting for nationalist ideologies, however the nazi in Japan, right now, are seen with ridicule, or as something only WW2 otaku are interested in. Furthermore, in japanese, touten (pronunced in the closest way possible, Toh-ten), means "This store 当店 " rather than "Eastern Sky, 東天", which can be all to similar to Toutenkou 東天紅 , which can be either the morning crowing of a rooster or a chicken breed.. A party like that would be laughed off the elections. Furthermore the renaming of japan to something that is not japan would have the whole archipelago up in arms, revolting. The whole of the Military included.

Basically, your army ends up being comically ridiculous as soon as someone with a passing knowledge of east asian contemporary history reads the comic.

And I, sadly, major in Japanese Studies.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if i dig your post but i believe it's necessary i make some clarifications

The big problem with your idea is that Imperial Japan was already a "Japanese twist on the Nazi villain" as they shared a lot of points (such as racial theories, with them being "The japanese race is superior to everything" rather than "untermenschen need to be eliminated" d going for a lot of similar national policies. Japanese society as a whole can still be quite recepting for nationalist ideologies, however the nazi in Japan, right now, are seen with ridicule, or as something only WW2 otaku are interested in. Furthermore, in japanese, touten (pronunced in the closest way possible, Toh-ten), means "This store 当店 " rather than "Eastern Sky, 東天", which can be all to similar to Toutenkou 東天紅 , which can be either the morning crowing of a rooster or a chicken breed.. A party like that would be laughed off the elections. Furthermore the renaming of japan to something that is not japan would have the whole archipelago up in arms, revolting. The whole of the Military included.

Basically, your army ends up being comically ridiculous as soon as someone with a passing knowledge of east asian contemporary history reads the comic.

Damn that was some schooling.

Still I guess it can be brushed off with how batshit insane SW's Earth has become. I mean you have to laugh that Terran purist ideals have killed billions in the past and yet each season, a bunch of nations despite being left in misery from such reigmes...decide to let another one with the same insanely evil ideals in the next day. I mean they where different canons but it does show a trend but then again its SW.

Hell when it comes to realism, take Neoterra in the older games. Where the hell did they get the resources to build the nation sized ships they had sheer thousands of, I mean to build what half the players have would take the resources of like five Earths.

But ultra realism wouldn't be too much fun I guess, I mean hell look at the stupid shit I've done and still do :P

I apologize if I made the political situation regarding Touten far-fetched. The Touten party to me is more like a political combination of the evils of Nazism and Japanese Militarism, who were responsible for committing very appalling atrocities in the past. Originally it was going to be an Outer Heaven lookalike with an Imperial Japanese motif. However, I found the idea of a Nazi Japan to be more exotic and changed the name to Touten which to me should mean "Eastern Heaven" or "Eastern Sky". There is a real life Nazi-esque organization in Greece called the Golden Dawn. Touten's Nazi connection is all part of the theme of "History Repeating Itself" in regards to the Touten Plot.

If you want, Garrick, I'll revise parts of Touten's backstory; I'm all set with the Touten faction by now.

to Dempsey: Should be free from control

To further clarify my post, while i was known a long time ago here for being one that pushed ultra-realism in his way of storytelling (If not in the depoction of fighting force at least in the depiction of political events and interpersonal relationship, i think i failed in both), don't let that comment stop you from playing it as you see fit :)

to Dempsey: Should be free from control

To further clarify my post, while i was known a long time ago here for being one that pushed ultra-realism in his way of storytelling (If not in the depoction of fighting force at least in the depiction of political events and interpersonal relationship, i think i failed in both), don't let that comment stop you from playing it as you see fit :)/>/>

I like story telling added into conflict myself, granted I've had my hits and misses, mostly misses but I hope to do something better this time around once I transition the faction I plan to run.

We had some good story telling in the original campaigns as well with a lot of deep stuff going on, no idea why everyone thinks it was 100% whimsical comedy stuff, therefore that is what people must force SW to be etc(This is mostly based on age old debates from way back), I do enjoy light hearted stuff once in a while myself through.

Something I posted a while back, semi unrelated but figured the insight would be useful for later discussions, so if issues come out we can discuss them civilly and talk things out instead of everyone cold shoulding each other and hoping they get the message, http://www.spritewars.com/index.php?/topic/3649-sprite-wars-sort-of-your-shit-out/page__view__findpost__p__72374

I sort of meant what was its status, like how Britain was fucked by the FSA, Aus' was raped by Skurge's forces, etc... Is it still habitable, is it in ruins, that type of thing.

Up to you, there is no solid canon here so you can pick and mix what you desire if the land is free.